Monday, October 11, 2010

Need a Visual? Youtube It!

Hmm? How do I install my own sprinkler system? Is it possible to rip a YouTube video into just an mp3 file? Audacity doesn't allow my file to save as mp3. How do I convert sound? How do I embed video into my SMART Notebook lessons? The answers to these questions can be found on YouTube. I use to spend wasted time reading a manual over and over to make sure I followed the step by step instructions. Now I turn to YouTube. I find I learn faster visually, as do most learners, so to grasp a concept, or find answers to just about anything, YouTube is an avenue. How can YouTube help your PLN? Here are my top 10 reasons to use YouTube in the classroom.
1. Find visual answers to questions
2. Present an opinion on a topic
3. Show video on curriculum content
4. Create a database of "howto" videos for your students or PLN
5. Market yourself and talents Kelsey's Art
6. Celebrate class projects, themes and/or special events (MHHS halftime dance at Football game)
7. Bookmark your classroom videos into "favorites folder" for quick access
8. Convert video to Flash files from YouTube to embed into your Notebook lessons (a how-to) is shown below.
9. Share via email, twitter, blogger, etc. and collaborate with friends
10. BECAUSE VIDEO IS MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN TEXT!!

1 comment:

  1. Good call, Tim.
    Youtube has become an incredible asset for finding information. I'm currently teaching myself how to use Photoshop with all of its fancy techniques in my "spare" time through Youtube. There are always multiple videos on each topic, so I can decide whose version, voice and instructional ability work the best for me.
    Choice is an interesting concept, isn't it? Speaking of choice, do your students have the choice of using the #2 most used web search (YOUTUBE) on the internet?

    ReplyDelete